Monday, May 4, 2009

Just a quick update on Elizabeth. I have a lot to do today.

Well, as you can see, I have finished the sky above the scene. I am now working on the border. I started that last night while watching "The Bucket List". Just looking at the photo while I type this post the scene looks really lovely. It was row upon row of stem stitch. This part of the linen is quite heavy and there is a lot of thread stitched into this piece of the sampler.


The border looks like lollipops and I am planning on working the border on both sides of the sampler and then working the 2 vases, and the verse that goes above what I have already worked. The top of the border, will be the last thing I do.

I am already planning my next challenge in life and I sent away to the U.S. to Scarlet Letter and order 2 samplers that I have always loved. One is called Betsy Davis 1797 and the other is Betsy Manchester 1793. I have always loved the Rhode Island style of samplers and I thought I would have a go at these.

I have to laught though, as Betsy Davis is recommended for very advanced needleworkers and Betsy Manchester is recommended for more advanced needleworkers. When I opened them to check out the graphs I nearly had a fit when I saw it. If I thought that Elizabeth Cox was a challenge these are much more so. Anyway, I will give them a go and see how I go. Nothing venture, nothing gained.



It is so beautiful in the mountains at the moment. I wish I had a photo to show you. All of the Japanese maples, cherry blossoms etc. etc. are in colour. Everywhere I go it is beautiful. There is one Japanese maple near where I live and it is the most beautiful claret red. It looks absolutely glorious with the sun shining on it.

Well, I had better get back to my dreaded housework. I have quite a lot of washing to do today and the washing machine keeps singing out to me to come and empty it. I know, I know, "A Women's Work is Never Done", she says lol.

11 comments:

Margaret said...

Oh it's just so beautiful!!! I love the border on this one, so I can't wait to see how it looks stitched up. This is such a gorgeous sampler -- I'm so glad you're stitching it so I can see it in all its glory! You'll do fine on the Betsys. You're a fantastic stitcher!

Kathy A. said...

That is such a beautiful piece. You have done a wonderful job with it. there does indeed seem to be a lot of thread. It must be getting very heavy. Your two new choices look like quite the challenge but I am confident that you are up to it.

Jan said...

Your stitching is awesome and this sampler promises to be an heirloom! Wonderful progress...

Brenda in WI said...

Your Cox is wonderful. You have encouraged me to order that kit. I also have the other two you mentioned and they sure are intimidating. I read the directions ever once in a while and then put them down for another look in a couple of months. lol I live about 40 miles away from The Scarlet Letter. I am so lucky to have been able to go out there and participate in her open houses. It is a wonderful farm.

Brenda

Love to Stitch said...

Wow! I have just come across your blog, and Wow! I am blown away with Elizabeth-- you are doing an AMAZING job!! Incredible. Such depth and texture. I am going to have fun watching your progress for sure! I am very interested to see your start on the 2 new Scarlet letter pieces, you say those pieces are for the advanced needleworker, I am positive you are!! Thank you for sharing your work!

Deb said...

Your piece is absolutely stunning. It looks like you made a huge amount of progress since I last saw this. The texture is amazing. I am really in awe of this piece and your stitching. And I love your two new Scarlett Letter purchases. They have the greatest samplers.

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

What a gorgeous, beyond words really, sampler this is! I will be following your blog to watch your progress and completion!

Anna Zont said...

Your stitching is eautiful!

Siobhán said...

Oh wow, what incredible progress! It's incredible. I can't wait to see your new samplers come to life!

Karoline said...

Elizabeth is looking gorgeous, great progress

The Scarlett House said...

In a word, STUNNING! I am going to email you. Be patient, okay?