Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Kitty a/a Elizabeth

Just thought I'd let you know that I am still here and I haven't fallen off my perch yet LOL. This is my slow progress on Kitty Biggs also known as Elizabeth Welfare. I really haven't done that much over the last couple of weeks, but she is slowly moving along.

She is really quite pretty as she is stitched mainly in golds and turquoise shades. Along with the cross stitch there is also a lot of satin stitch which really moves it along quite fast. I love the border as the flowers have satin stitch surrounded by cross stitch.

I have been quite busy over the last few weeks. My Dad came up for a few days while my sister was away and we went for a couple of lovely drives. On one of the days my DH took the day off work and we went for a drive out to Bathurst. It happened to be a day were we had snow, so my Dad was excited to see it. We didn't have much in Katoomba, but there was a lot in the pine forests on the way to Bathurst. The snow looked quite beautiful among all the trees. Unfortunately I forgot the camera.

On the next day Dad and one of my sons and i went for a trip down to Richmond, where my Dad's family originally came from. We went on a gravestone search looking for my GGG Grandparents and we had a lot of success. I knew where they were buried in Richmond and I had tried to find these graves at the beginning of the year when I went to a funeral where these particular graves are. Unfortunately after a quick look in the rain, my DH and I gave up and decided that we would come back another day. It is seemed the appropriate place to go for a drive while Dad was here. He was the one who found them and it made his day.

this house in Richmond is where my Dad's G Grandparents lived and it was also where they started the family business. A business that went for over 100 years until my Dad and Uncle had to retire early.

In the travels with my Sister, she comes home on Thursday after a lovely time in Paris, Venice and England. I believe she is having trouble closing her suitcase LOL. I wonder what goodies she is bringing home. I hope to travel down to see her and my Dad on the weekend, so I will let you know. I know a couple of the things she has bought and I know that they are lovely.

5 comments:

Kathy A. said...

I love that sampler. The colors are gorgeous. How cool is that to be able to trace your family roots so easily and well.

Lapplisor said...

Hello, loves Sandra
Your Sampler becomes again so beautiful.
It makes me happy to discover with you such marvelous samples.
Your description over the Australian winter, with which visit of your father, has me also well fallen.
On weekend I will think of you, if your sister tells you of Europe. Completely much fun with the family meeting.
Best greetings from Sweden
♥☼♥ Barbara ♥☼♥

Joanie said...

Hello, friend! I love Kitty Bigg, it's beautiful!!

How fabulous it is to trace your family history. I wish that I had pursued more of my family history when my parents were alive.

I am looking forward to hearing about all the loot your sister brought home from her travels. And I am very glad you had a wonderful time with your Dad.
Looking forward to another email from you...big HINT!!! LOL!

Crazee4books said...

Hi Sandra,

Well, Miss Kitty continues to be
a delight. Love the satin stitch
flowers, which add a little
diversity to the design. That bird
at the bottom is neat too.

We've been taking little drives
on the weekend in the old car,
which are quite enjoyable. But
the cost of gas is getting to
the prohibitive stage here, and
the old girl sucks gas like a
sponge.

I enjoyed seeing the pictures of
the graves of your many great
grandparents, and the home of
your double great grandparents.
Love hearing about family
histories and stories.

Most of my family on my mother's side are still in England, so
only have her parents buried
here. But we've done some family
research and exploration during
our visits there in the past.

On my Dad's side is the same,
and we haven't kept in touch
with any of his side of the
family back in England. Pity
that.

My husband has an extended
network of family in this area
of Ontario which goes back some
ways. There is an old house
where his Dad was born not far
from here which is unique
because it's an eight sided
house.

Unfortunately the land
it's on is owned by a group
who will no doubt tear it
down someday to make room for
either a new subdivision or
an industrial complex. If we
had the financial ability to
do so we would buy it, move
it to a safe location and
restore it, but I'm afraid
that unless we win the
lottery that's not going to
happen. Very sad really.

I love exploring graveyards,
especially when they are old
and have lots of old trees
and monuments etc.

Is your sister renting her own
plane to fly home in, and to
carry all the goodies she's
bought during her travels?
What wonderful trips she's
been on. Oh, wouldn't it be
nice....?

What was the family business
that you mentioned?? That's
quite a record, to have a
business that runs for over a
hundred years.

Very hot here today. Which
is suppose to be the trend
for the next few days.

cheerio for now.

Wendy said...

The colours in Kitty are so lovely and soft!

It sounds like you had a wonderful visit with your Dad. How amazing that he was able to find family headstones and in such good condition. I would love to be able to trace my family roots, and have had a little success in an old census.